Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Williams-Sonoma joins forces with west elm at the 2007 NYC AIDS Walk




For the past 5 years, I have been participating in the NYC AIDS Walk. As much as I try to raise for this extremely important cause, I wanted to do more this year, MUCH MORE! I knew I had the financial backing from my Wall Street co-workers, I just needed a recognized name to get a wider audience involved. hmmm...

Besides being a designer by day, I moonlight as a part-time associate at Williams-Sonoma in mid-town Manhattan. I thought, PERFECT!! I'll combine the resources of both of my worlds in an attempt to raise as much money as possible while creating a fun bonding experience for all my friends and co-workers.

Within two weeks of initiating the team, we found ourselves joining forces with sister-store, west elm. For the next two weeks, I was busy communicating with the folks at WS corporate, sending out emails, soliciting donations, branded the team webpage and designing artwork for all the shirts. Special thanks to MikeSK Indie Revolution for their generous help with the shirts. IT WAS A HUGE SUCCESS for a first year pilot. We had 45 registered team members and raised close to $3,000 for the GMHC.

The Gay Men's Health Crisis, a not-for-profit, volunteer-supported and community-based organization committed to national leadership in the fight against AIDS. Our mission is to reduce the spread of HIV disease; help people with HIV maintain and improve their health and independence; and keep the prevention, treatment and cure of HIV an urgent national and local priority. In fulfilling this mission, they remain true to our heritage by fighting homophobia and affirming the individual dignity of all gay men and lesbians.

No comments: